Quipmo Wins Austrade’s Going Global Award at UQ HYPE SPIN Accelerator!!
Quipmo Wins Austrade’s Going Global Award at the UQ HYPE SPIN Accelerator Pitch Competition!!
- The University of Queensland – Human Movement and Sport Sciences at UQ ranked 1st in Australia and 2nd in the world according to the 2019 QS World University Rankings of Academic Performance
- HYPE Sports Innovation – the largest sports tech accelerator in the world
- iLab – Queensland’s preeminent business incubator to support early stage, high-tech companies through the first few years of development
- Australian Trade and Investment Commission (Austrade) – assisting Australian businesses to succeed in trade and investment
- Quipmo – Equipment for the Moment! – launched in Perth in Feb 2017 is the surf, bike and snow peer to peer gear rental marketplace for like-minded travellers and locals who share a passion for adventure!
- Connecting people with great gear for adventures is about to become a whole lot easier!
We are absolutely thrilled to advise that Quipmo has won the Australian Trade and Investment Commission (Austrade) Going Global Award at the University of Queensland HYPE SPIN Accelerator Pitch Competition!
The HYPE UQ SPIN Accelerator is a global program developed by HYPE Sports Innovation and UQ to champion entrepreneurship and sports tech innovation, while providing access to mentors and investors from around the world to fast-track promising local startups onto the world stage. Furthermore, with HYPE Sports Innovation being the largest sportstech startup accelerator in the world and as the programme leverages HYPE’s existing sportstech platform which already engages over 10,000 startups and 29,000 sports innovators across the world, participants have joined some very esteemed company!
After highly competitive application process, where over 50 applicants applied, 25 startups were then accepted into the UQ HYPE SPIN Bootcamp! A couple of international teams suffered visa difficulties, which led to 23 teams making it to Brisbane to compete in what can only be described as a truly full on two days of pitching, Q&A, and of having our startups poked and prodded. The Bootcamp, which was akin to a startup tournament, offered 12 places only in what is the most prestigious sports tech accelerator in the world. Much to our absolute delight, Quipmo was accepted as part of the five equal 1st graduates of the Bootcamp – which afforded acceptance straight into the Accelerator!
After three months of learning, tutelage, and guidance from high-profile mentors hailing from brands including Puma, Adidas, Spalding, Asics and Intel .. the 10 graduating HYPE UQ SPIN Accelerator startup teams then pitched in front of a jury that included high-level representatives, influencers and investors from the sports and tech worlds along with an audience an included leading sports and tech figures, mentors, investors, innovators and media outlet representatives! With the startups competing for the chance to win $25,000 provided by The University of Queensland; residency at AusTrade’s Landing Pad in a global startup hotspot; and a complimentary HYPE exhibition space at an international HYPE event – to say that the stakes were high was an understatement!!
Taking out top line honours on the day and the UQ prize were the amazing Sportscube guys! Sportscube’s purpose is to empower sport at the grassroots level by developing digital innovations that increase economic development and participation. SportsCube is in beta of a ‘Sponsorship Marketplace’, for grassroots sporting organisations to create and sell sponsorship opportunities.
Promoting grassroots sponsorship through a digital ecosystem allows brands to easily secure unique marketing opportunities at the heart of their community. Be sure to keep an ear out for Sportscube as they have a very big future!!
We are absolutely over the moon to have come in second on the day winning Austrade’s Going Global Award!
The Australian Trade and Investment Commission – Austrade – contributes to Australia’s economic prosperity by helping Australian businesses, education institutions, tourism operators, governments and citizens as they:
- develop international markets and promote international education
- win productive foreign direct investment
- strengthen Australia’s tourism industry
- seek consular and passport services.
The Austrade Going Global Award was presented to Quipmo in recognition for demonstrating strong potential to scale into international markets which comes off the back of Quipmo’s presence in 18 countries already! This award also provides with a 90 day residency at an Australian Landing Pad!!
Austrade Landing Pads help market-ready startups and scaleups take their business global.
The Landing Pads program provides market-ready startups and scaleups with potential for rapid growth a cost effective option to land and expand into major global innovations hubs around the world. Five Landing Pads have been established in San Francisco, Tel Aviv, Shanghai, Berlin and Singapore.
Landing Pads provide market-ready startups and scaleups with:
- a ninety day residency in a co-working space to help them grow their business by facilitating in-market business development, introductions to investors and mentor networks and strategic partnership opportunities
- business services and in-market learnings from local and international experts
- access to a curated community that supports Australian entrepreneurs who want to go global via shared insights and collaboration opportunities, and
- assistance post residency with business advice to help them continue to grow their business.
This is a truly incredible prize that Quipmo has received and will further steepen the trajectory of our global growth! We are truly humbled to have been recognised for our efforts and our potential and cannot wait to participate in this incredibly exciting program at one of the world’s great innovation cities!
Taking out the HYPE prize on the day were the wonderful team from Moovosity! Moovosity exist to inspire all children to enjoy a life of physical activity by revolutionising the way they learn to move and leveraging technology to solve educator pain, thus positively impacting health, wellbeing and academic performance. A noble cause and one with truly amazing potential!
The opportunity to learn from the best in the business, and to share our journey with other amazing startups has been a game changer!
A truly huge congrats to the other amazing startups who also participated in the program – it was our absolute pleasure to work with, to learn from, and to share our journey with you!!